Focus and Scope
Studium: Tijdschrift voor Wetenschaps- en Universiteitsgeschiedenis | Revue d’Histoire des Sciences et des Universités is an open access peer-reviewed academic journal which publishes articles and book reviews on the history of scholarship, science, medicine, technology and universities.
Studium is the official journal of GEWINA, the Belgian-Dutch Society for the History of Science and Universities, founded in 1913. Studium’s predecessors are A. Gewina: Tijdschrift voor de Geschiedenis der Geneeskunde, Natuurwetenschappen, Wiskunde en Techniek (1978-2007) and B. Scientiarum Historia: Tijdschrift voor de Geschiedenis van de Wetenschappen en de Geneeskunde (1959-2006).
The editorial board of Studium is appointed by the board of GEWINA which has also established its editorial policies.
Studium does not limit itself to a particular period, field or place, though it does give special attention to the Low Countries and its former colonies.
The used languages in Studium are Dutch, English and French.
Apart from peer-reviewed articles, Studium also publishes small notes, archival findings, description of scientific instruments, etc., in a section called ‘Pandora’s box’. Please contact the editors if you are not sure whether your research falls into these categories.
Calls for papers, and other announcements are published on the website of the Society GEWINA: or can be found on the Digital Web Centre for the History of Science in the Low Countries (DWC).
Studium publishes three to four issues a year. The editorial board seeks to publish at least one special issue a year.
Open Access PolicyStudium provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
Authors of articles published in Studium remain the copyright holders and grant third parties the right to use, reproduce, and share the article according to the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license agreement (CC-BY).
To ensure permanency of all publications, Studium utilises CLOCKSS archiving systems to create permanent archives for the purposes of preservation and restoration.
Support our journal
How can you support Studium?
- Announce the journal and distribute the URL to your colleagues and students. Encourage them to register as a reader, so that we can send them updates on new issues.
- Get in touch with your institute's library and ensure that the journal is known to the library's search engine.
- Contribute to the journal financially. The journal is for a very large part dependent on the voluntary work of a large number of people. But some actions, like the editorial process and the hosting of the digital journal, simply require funding. If you are willing to contribute financially, please become a member of GEWINA (See below and: www.gewina.nl for more details). Donations may be made to ING bank account no. 91341 (c/o ‘Penningmeester Gewina’; IBAN code: NL73 INGB 0000091341 | BIC/SWIFT code: INGBNL2A)
Members of the GEWINA Society will receive a printed paper copy of Studium free of charge.
Membership fees are € 37,00 per annum (students € 24,00).
Institutional subscriptions for paper copies € 60,00 per annum.
Printed separate issues: EUR 13,50 each; Theme issues: EUR 17,50 each
Payments may be made to ING bank account no. 91341 (c/o ‘Penningmeester Gewina’)
(IBAN code: NL73 INGB 0000091341 | BIC/SWIFT code: INGBNL2A)
Membership cancellations must be submitted to the secretary no later than 1 November of each year.
t.a.v. dr. D.M. Baneke
3508 AD Utrecht
Studium is indexed by the following services:
- Bielefeld Academic Search Engine (BASE)
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Electronic Journals Library
- Google scholar
- Ebsco: Biomedical Reference Collection
- Ebsco: Historical Abstracts with Full text
- Ebsco: Historical Abstracts
- Ebsco Discovery
- Ulrich's Periodicals Directory
All Studium content is indexed with CrossRef and assigned a Digital Object Identifier (DOI). This means that all Studium references are made available so that citations can be tracked by the publishing community, and the content is added to the Cross-Check anti-plagiarism database.
In addition, Studium is available for harvesting via OAI-PMH.
If Studium is not indexed by your preferred service, please let us know by emailing email@example.com or alternatively by making an indexing request directly with the service.
Authors are explicitly encouraged to deposit their published article(s) in their institutional repository.
Studium is the official journal of Gewina, the Belgian-Dutch Society for the History of Science and Universities (est. 1913). It is published in co-operation with the Huygens Institute for the History of the Netherlands of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences and the Descartes Centre for the history and philosophy of the sciences and humanities (Utrecht University).
Supported by Utrecht University Library Open Access Journals (www.uopenjournals.org)
Studium fully supports and encourages author self-archiving of all published content. Studium is registered as a SHERPA/RoMEO Blue journal.
Studium was founded in 2008, as a continuation of several older journals: Firstly, for thirty years (from 1978 until 2007) the Dutch Tijdschrift voor de geschiedenis der Geneeskunde, Natuurwetenschappen, Wiskunde en Techniek, later renamed Gewina, was the official journal of the society GEWINA for the History of Medicine, Mathematics, Science and Technology. This journal focused in particular on the history of science in the Netherlands and its former colonies.
Following the merger of the Dutch and Belgian Societies and the inclusion of the university historians into GEWINA, the Belgian-Dutch Society for the History of Science and Universities in 2008, the journal continued as Studium: Tijdschrift voor Wetenschaps- en Universiteitsgeschiedenis / Revue de l'Histoire des Sciences et des Universités.
- Gewina: Tijdschrift voor de Geschiedenis der Geneeskunde, Natuurwetenschappen, Wiskunde en Techniek (1978-2007)
- Scientiarum Historia: Tijdschrift voor de Geschiedenis van de Wetenschappen en de Geneeskunde (1959-2006)
- Nieuwsbrief Universiteitsgeschiedenis / Lettre d'Information sur L'histoire des Universités (1995-2004).